Maryland says: Don’t let corporations buy our elections!
Democracy in America and Maryland is being corrupted by big moneyed interests. We citizens of Maryland demand that the leaders of the Maryland legislature allow a floor vote in the Maryland State Senate and House of Delegates on the Democracy Amendment to reduce the corrupting influence of big money in elections.
Legislative leaders should help create a more level political playing field for all Americans, rich and poor, by allowing a floor vote in the Maryland General Assembly on the Democracy Amendment.
Please consider signing the petition at MoveOn.org!
Facing Challenges to Working Together for Peace and Justice
Saturday, November 21, 2015
2 to 5 pm
Adelphi Friends Meeting
2303 Metzerott Rd.
Adelphi, MD 20783
Refreshments Served, Donations Welcomed
Facilitated by Mary Louise Cohen
Interactive Workshop by Claudia Smith
RSVP Paulette Hammond, 410-747-3811, 443-418-5479,
or Tony Langbehn, 301-390-9684,
P.S. Please join us northward to attend the HoCoFoLa Human Rights Annual Pot Luck dinner with Live Music at 6 pm.
The Bain Center 5470 Ruth Keeton Way Columbia, MD 21044 Phone: 410-313-7213
The 30th Annual Peace, Justice, & Environment Conference
Friday, May 1, 2015
Celebrating the lives of Vivienne Shub, June Wing, Howard Ehrlich and Katherine LeVeque
Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church
905 Frederick Road
Catonsville, MD 21228
Maryland United for Peace and Justice/Institute for Positive Action
and cosponsors listed below
30 years ago, participants in Maryland’s first conference on peace, justice and the environment 1986 formed Maryland United for Peace and Justice (MUPJ) as a means to coordinate and support efforts to create a more peaceful, just and sustainable world.
Our 2015 conference celebrates MUPJ’s three decades of energizing and supporting progressive Maryland groups and individuals. Please join us as we continue our crucial and exciting activities!
Friday, May 1st
6:30 – 7:15 pm: Potluck dinner and housing arrangements for out-of-town participants
7:15 – 7:30 pm: MUPJ business meeting
7:30 – 8:15 pm: Liz McAllister and Ray McGovern: “Standing up to empire – then and now!”
8:15 – 9:00 pm: Preparation of conference site and materials
Saturday, May 2nd
8:00 – 8:20 am: Registration: Table setup, bagels, cream cheese, coffee, tea
8:30 – 8:50 am: Welcome by Pastor Dave Asendorf, Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church
9:00 – 9:50 am: Featured Speaker I: Phyllis Bennis, Institute for Policy Studies, The Mess in the Middle East: What can we do?
10:00 – 10:50 Workshop Session I:
- Scott Ward, “Seize the story, Save the world: Communicating effectively in a new and dynamic landscape”
- Tom McCarthy, “The Cyprus Friendship Program: A Proven Teen Model for Peace”
- Kara Annenson, Just Kids, Incarceration of Juveniles: Is this Justice?
- MJ and Jerry Park, Little Friends for Peace, Non-violence in all settings: beyond Ferguson: Working with the Police Academy, building relationships
- MJ Park, Little Friends for Peace, Live peace, Teach peace: Can we learn and use tools of non-violence?
12:00 noon – 12:30 pm: Plenary Session: Participant speedy-input on new MUPJ website and proposed quarterly MUPJ summit meetings
12:05 - 12:30 pm – 1:10 pm: Gourmet Lunch and Glorious Music. Catering by Catonsville Gourmet with vegetarian option
Entertainment by Pastor Gloria Jones Swieringa
1:10 pm –1:55 pm: Benjamin Peace Awards: Gandhi Peace Brigade at DuVal High School, Lanham, MD
2:00 – 2:50 pm: Featured Speaker II: Martin Fleck Program Director, for Physicians for Social Responsibility, "Humanitarian Impact of Nuclear Weapons"
3:00 – 3:50 pm: Workshop Session III:
- Dan Kahn, The Peace Alliance, "Creating Political Will for Peace - the Power of Your Relationships."
- Laila El-Haddad, Howard County Committee for Palestinian Rights:”Is a Lasting Peace still possible in Israel/Palestine?”
- Bahram Zandi, Co-chair, International Committee, Green Party US: May Day, A Blueprint for Cooperation for Change
4:00 – 4:30 pm: Plenary Celebration
Participant input, 30th anniversary cake, and Ethiopian Iced Coffee